FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:13 am
bhrubin
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by txpenny
It would be nice if bhrubin would start a new and improved "Marriott Plat Premier with Ambassador status & Ambassador Experiences" thread which contained mostly experiences.
I think this thread will do, despite the discontent of a spurious few,

Since I started this thread on April 30, I’ve only had stays at the following six (6) hotels...with plenty of data points demonstrating the value of Ambassador service.

(1) Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho for 3 nights, May 2018, Expert Review here: https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620

Highlights:

(a) BRG of $234 approved
(b) granted 7:15 am early check in despite Your24 officially declined, obviously due to Ambassador status...in spite of no one at front desk indicating any recognition beyond my Platinum status.
(c) upgraded to Kioicho Suite despite SNAs declined, obviously pre-assigned upgrade due to Ambassador status
(d) treated like gold by entire hotel staff throughout stay, recognized by name by concierge staff, front desk staff, restaurant staff, valets, and lounge staff...in spite of no one at front desk indicating any recognition beyond my Platinum status

(2) Suiran Kyoto for 5 nights, May 2018 Expert Review here: https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...g-service-2621

Highlights:

(a) Pre-upgraded over 6 months in advance to best non-suite Premier Room on award stay, obviously due to Ambassador status
(b) negotiated further paid upgrade to Presidential Suite at fantastic rate, obviously due to Ambassador status
(c) concierge arranged every Michelin restaurant booking we requested, so much so that we had to cancel a few!
(d) treated like gold by entire hotel staff throughout stay, recognized by name by almost everyone on staff.,all despite no one recognizing or mentioning that I had anything more than Platinum status. Amazing.
(e) provided extra air con fan units in suite bedroom and suite living room to ensure my comfort, something obviously done ONLY due to my Ambassador status
(f) provided private dining room for free (normally a $350 charge per use) for every breakfast and dinner in order to have it cooled to 19 C for my comfort, something obviously done ONLY due to my Ambassador status
(g) met by GM to apologize for air con semi-fail on our first night, probably due to my Ambassador status
(h) opened up riverside lounge restaurant an hour early for us to have iced coffees one morning on my request, obviously due to my Ambassador status

(3) Ritz Carlton Kyoto for 2 nights, May 2018 Expert Review here: https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...-recovery-2624

Highlights:

(a) upgraded on award stay to Suite Kamogawa, probably due to service recovery for poor concierge service pre-arrival and possibly due to my known Ambassador status—because I told them of my status!
(b) met Guest Relations Manager on arrival, met GM on departure
(c) concierge got it together in the end

(4) St Regis Osaka for 3 nights, May 2018 Expert Review here: https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...ew-issues-2626

Highlights:

(a) upgraded on award stay to best room category available despite being sold out for several weddings
(b) treated like gold at every step, including manager greeting in arrival and in room check in on arrival, manager handling car service payment on arrival when credit card wouldn’t go things, recognized by most HIMEL staff throughout stay, entirely due to my Ambassador status
(c) recognized by name in elevator by executive chef who knew we’d dine with him for our last night, invited us for a special anniversary dinner—which turned out to be Michelin worthy highlight meal of our stay in Osaka, obviously due to my Ambassador status
(d) received special treatment and VIP seating at hotel bar every time, obviously due to Ambassador status
(e) met with Director of Rooms in stay and at end of stay, almost certainly due to Ambassador status

(5) Westin San Jose for 2 nights for nephew’s wedding, late June 2018

Highlights:

(a) allowed to bring our 110 lb Ridgeback despite 50 lb weight limit, obviously due to my Ambassador status and repeat business
(b) upgraded to nicer Studio Suite without request, obviously due to Ambassador status and repeat business...despite no one at front desk saying anything about more than Platinum status. Amazing.
(c) rate adjusted/reduced by almost half after moved due to air con preference to smaller Studio Suite
(d) treated like gold be every staff member, most of whom know us all by name, obviously due to Ambassador stays and repeat business
(e) treated to free drinks in bar by restaurant manager during false fire alarm, recognized even though we’d never previously met, evens with our dog, obviously due to VIP Ambassador status

(6) St Regis San Francisco for 3 nights, early July 2018

Highlights:

(a) upgraded to my favorite Metropolitan Suite (with specially installed blackout shades for me) on a paid entry level stay, obviously due to my Ambassador status and repeat business
(b) allowed to bring our 110 lb Rhodesian Ridgebabck for 2nd time despite 35 lb weight limit, obviously due to Ambassador status and repeat business
(c) allowed to "check in" from 11:15 am despite Your24 being officially declined, actually brought straight to suite without any check in or mention of any status...obviously due to Ambassador status and related business
(d) recognized by almost everyone in hotel, originally due to Ambassador status but also due to my repeat business
(e) given priority seating at restaurant every time, obviously due to Ambassador status and repeat bsuiness
(f) given priority seating at bar, even with our dog, due to Ambassador status and repeat business
(f) treated like gold as always, even taken to suite without official check in, allowed to check in later when it was convenient as we left for dog walk!

Imagine that one can get such VIP treatment despite not a single person at any front desk mentioning my Ambassador/VIP status! Of course, three of those hotels didn’t even check us in at the front desk, instead providing a truly luxurious experience by checking us inin the comfort of our room or suite. That doesn’t happen at Marriott portfolio hotels, even at JW Marriott or Edition hotels...ever. It happens at proper luxury hotels, though...and especially when you’re a VIP—even if they don’t call you one.

Imagine that anyone uncomfortable with any element of such recognition could just let their Ambassador know--so that hotels don't treat you with any special treatment or recognition. Just as my Ambassador impresses on the hotels the critical importance of air conditioning for me, someone else's Ambassador can impress on hotels the concomitant need to avoid recognition. The key element here is that Ambassador service provides a far more personalized and individual experience for your stays--something that is largely unknown at most Marriott brands and which is far more common in the SPG luxury brands.

Oops.

Starwood Ambassador service doesn’t always happen in a vacuum, as seems to be the case with the current trial Marriott “concierge/Ambassador” experiment to introduce the concept into the Marriott universe. Starwood Ambassador service happens also in conjunction with the hotels at which we stay. The Ambassador and management teams at hotels can work together to personalize and enhance a menber’s stay. It doesn’t happen as some special magical recognition moment at check-in; it happens as enhanced and elevated service and special treatment throughout one’s stay.

Marriott is copying everything Starwood does for its elites. It stands to reason that Marriott is also planning for the new Ambassador program to copy Starwood’s, as well. The current Marriott “concierge/Ambassador” trial run doesn’t even come close, as evidenced by the dearth of any examples at all in any of the many Marriott threads on the subject.

For the record, I’ll be back again at the StR San Francisco over Labor Day weekend (3 nights), at the StR Florence at end of Sept/early Oct (5 nights), at La Bandita Townhouse Pienza (my first ever Design) in early Oct (3 nights), at Atlantis by Giardino Zurich (Design) in Oct (2 nights), and at the StR Bal Harbour for the Ft Lauderdale Boat Show end of Oct/early Nov (5 nights). I know I'll be back at the StR San Francisco in Nov and Dec, as well--other hotel stays TBD. More highlights to come, even though Design Hotels like LBT and Alantis officially don’t recognize Platinum/Ambassador status in same way.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jul 23, 2018 at 4:34 pm