FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively {Archive}
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:44 pm
findark
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Microwave
For whatever reason, I was listed at the top of both the Standby and Upgrade lists, and when I got to the gate I made myself known to one of the GAs. They ended up processing two upgrades, clearing a slew of standbys into coach, and were only prepared to offer me a coach seat. My question relates to the order of processing standbys and upgrades at the gate: should the GAs have cleared a revenue passenger standing by for a premium cabin seat before clearing upgrades? I know that in general it’s better to clear upgrades first to make space for standbys in the back, but in this case that screwed me. I’d be keen to hear what the actual order should have been. Thank you!
What you observed is policy. They can't (fully) run the standby list until they close check-in and offload no-shows, but running the upgrade list doesn't block on this (it also CPUs instead of putting standbys in F).

If you explain the situation to the GA, they are capable of running it in the other order. Regardless, I do not recommend standing by for the premium cabin as it's nearly impossible to accomplish.