FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Travel Packages
View Single Post
Old Jul 22, 2018, 11:37 am
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by metoo
I am wondering if I should really attach the 7 night category 6 Courtyard HK certificate for a stay later this year. It is Category 6 right now but after the change, it will be Category 4.

The CSR I spoke with actually booked me for a 5 night travel certificate for Cat 6 for 250k (120k to Alaska Airlines)
I told her I wanted the 7 night travel package for Cat 6 (300k) She cancelled the 5 night travel certificate but still deducted the 250k plus the 300k for the 7 night package. I am now in the negative for my account.

I called CSR back to explain the situation and CSR said it will take 7 to 10 business day to receive the 250k back.

Had I known the problem, I would have just kept the 5 nights, Cat 6, 120k Alaska air package for 250k

How many days should it take for the miles to transfer to Alaska Air?
What Tel Number you called to redeem the TP?

Read back upthread there was a poster said Marriott audited his 5 night cert and eventually took 30K from his account to exchange it to a 7 nights cert, without any notification to him. He went all the way to Exec Office but was told the plain fact, he is not eligible for 5 nights cert.
There were a few similar DPs on Reddit. So I am not sure if taking the 5 nights cert when rep offered, would be a sure thing, especially if the stay is indeed needed, not a dummy place holder.

Happened to a friend in somewhat similar situation - he canceled an existing booking and wanted to use the cert for a different hotel. The rep canceled the booking alright but the cert did not come back. Instead his point bal went up by 45K pts. The rep claimed the cert would come back quickly. Of course it did not, and remained not the next morning.

This snafu happened on Friday evening. He called many times and nobody could fix it. Then he called Saturday yesterday a few times and eventually got a competent rep who deconstructed the whole thing and now his balance went back to what it should be and the re-issued cert is attached to the new hotel he wants.

He also had a misfortune in June when calling to extend an expiring cert, the rep extended a wrong cert which did not expire until Nov. The June expiry cert of course disappeared. He did not catch it until a few days ago when he was ready to book hotel. Took many calls but eventually the disappeared cert was reinstated - by way of 1) deducted 45K pts from his account on a rep who failed to re-deposit the 45K pts back to make him whole. 2) Many more calls later a competent rep deposited 45K back to his account to make him whole.
Correct process is to deduct 45K and deposit 45K on the same call but with how Marriott CS is going these days, he would be lucky enough to get back his cert that previous rep did not extended correctly in June.

In light of the above, I am skeptical the points would come back by themselves without human intervention. Just call back and eventually you will get a rep that is capable to fix it.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 22, 2018 at 11:45 am