FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best non-"high-end" sushi in Tokyo?
View Single Post
Old Jul 21, 2018, 4:05 pm
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by od_sf
I haven't been to that shop. Tabelog reviews look good, though.
I would honestly rate it higher than Roppongi Sukiyabashi Jiro. I was at Jiro a couple weeks ago, and after my absence from the Roppongi location for awhile, it appears to have become a location specifically for foreigners with nary a local guest who is interested in sharing the space with tourists from China, Europe or the US. There was an interesting flip flop in which Takashi-san now speaks almost perfect English (and some solid Chinese), while his new apprentices don't really speak English at all, and I couldn't get any of them to speak to me in Japanese, specifically the names of each fish and they seemed a little surprised I was requesting my extra pieces using the Japanese names. In the past, his senior apprentice did the talking, but that apprentice has now moved on, I assume to his own restaurant.

While the selections were still solid and delicious, slightly hampered by the market being closed on Sunday, when I compare innovation, variety and taste between Jiro Roppongi and Sushidokoro Suzu, I would say Sushidokoro Suzu wins especially when ordering both sashimi and nigiri courses. I would still be very happy at Jiro Ginza which has a more 'local' atmosphere and fewer tourists who don't know what they are doing, but there is some risk of that at Sushidokoro Suzu too (especially the night I was there). Also, we were not served melon after dinner at Roppongi this time.

I just had the impression that Roppongi is being used to build off the movie's global interest and steer the tourists away from Ginza (and keep them away from his father). Also, combining the nigiri and sashimi courses at Sushidokoro Suzu will run about 1/2 the cost of the same courses at Jiro Roppongi with more variety, but if one prefers consistency and perfection over a little adventure and uniqueness, Jiro is still the standard for this option.

So, in summary, Sushidokoro Suzu is probably one of the better options for "high-end sushi" in Tokyo without the "high-end price"....and I guarantee you will leave there pretty stuffed and happy.