FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need FT expert advice: Driving with a RV around San Francisco
Old Jul 21, 2018, 1:20 am
tom911
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
We are not so much interested in being in a national park or other camping site - but more to give the little ones the experience of living out of an RV for a few days..
The Bay Area is a tough spot for an RV. I know the Walmarts within a few miles of me all prohibit overnight parking, and you really need to know your Bay Area geography if you just take your chances and park somewhere else, both in terms of safety and local ordinances that might prohibit overnight sleeping in an RV or even parking on the street. In terms of RV parks, besides the one mentioned, you're probably looking at places like Petaluma or Half Moon Bay and they're too far away to use as a base to tour San Francisco.

If I was doing an RV trip, I'd be looking at places like Lake Tahoe, Mount Lassen and Lake Shasta that are more friendly to RVs and have plenty of options for overnighting. If you're doing this trip anytime before late October, you should have decent weather. Maybe start the trip in San Francisco without the RV and pick it up when you leave? Where would you pick it up?

If San Francisco hotel prices were a consideration in thinking about an RV, there are some hotel options outside San Francisco that work with local transit, and many here could offer advice in that area.