FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WoH Credit card! [Launched 2018] (Chase)
View Single Post
Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:47 am
PortlySpartacus

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
Help me understand something about the second cat 1-4 cert. The amount you have to spend to get the second cert is $15,000. Let's say you spend that in the bonus categories. So you would get 30,000 WOH points as well as a certificate worth (max) 15,000. But if you put the same spend on the Chase Sapphire Reserve you get 45,000 Ultimate Reward points which can be transferred to Hyatt (or spent on on travel worth $675). Isn't that a wash (or even a point in favor of using the CSR)?

Or are people looking at this mainly for unbonused spend? In other words (especially for those of us who don't have unlimited income to put through credit cards) might this be a decent replacement for the SPG Amex since for the first $15K of regular spend you're essentially getting 2 Hyatt points per Dollar (i.e. 15K points plus a cert worth 15K)? Which isn't a bad deal.

Anyway, trying to understand the possibilities (and to find a replacement for everyday/unbonused/non-bonus spend that I have been heretofore putting on the SPG Amex. Normally a 2% cashback card would be good but we are overseas 75% of the year, so a forex fee free card like the WOH Visa is important.
I have often thought using the Chase Sapphire card with Ultimate Rewards was a better deal solely because the UR points are way more flexible. You can transfer to Hyatt at 1:1 or use for many other loyalty programs. So from a flexibility standpoint UR points win. I also get 5x UR on certain business category spend. However, with the new WoH card they are changing my thinking due to being able to earn stay credit toward Globalist for a certain amount of spend. Depending on how much you travel every year, this could have a big benefit for you to maintain status and is unique to the WoH card. That, and the free Cat 1-4 award every year and another at 15K spend will make it my primary card going forward.