FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:54 pm
sinfonia

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
It's a great question, Offshore171. By no means are we Tokyo experts (this was our first trip there), but we did get around quite a bit, and we found this location rather central to everywhere we wanted to go. At the beginning of the trip, I questioned whether it was going to be a good location in terms of accessibility to places we wanted to go, but by the middle of the trip, I had quite an appreciation for the area. Surrounding the hotel itself, the area is quiet and rather lovely on the river, but yes, it has enough metro lines nearby that we found it rather easy to jet out to Tokyo Station or Ginza for this, and then head off to Harajuku or Shinjuku for that. We did have to transfer lines sometimes as it does not have all of the lines there (for example, getting up to Akihabara or Sugamo required a transfer), but since the metro is so easy and so frequent, it really did not matter much. We found the location to be a very nice balance between accessibility/easy of transportation and in an area that seemed to void of big crowds. As we walked around our area, we did not see anyone but us holding a map or speaking another language than Japanese.

One thing that we kept musing over was the generosity of amenities and service. While we have never stayed at a Prince hotels property, we have stayed at plenty of Luxury Collection properties, St. Regis resorts, etc., and we found the service and offerings here incredibly gracious and hospitable.

I will also note that for the most part, excepting certain arrangements and beneficial relations, I do not find a lot of value in using concierges for suggestions as even at luxury hotels, they sometimes perform the same Google searches that I already have performed, or they recommend a restaurant with which they have a relation, but which is not at all what I had asked for or desired. However, the concierge at the Tokyo Prince Gallery was excellent. We needed her help three different times and she really came through, going above and beyond what we would have expected. For example, we were looking to purchase certain items and had no idea the best place to get these. She had recommendations of a few stores, but specifically, based on where we were going to be, called the stores in all three of these areas (not just one department store but also smaller boutique stores) to inquire about their selection, and then she put together a game plan for us to most efficiently visit these stores and make our purchases. When I threw in a last minute difficult-to-find item that I wanted to purchase, she slipped a note under the door overnight while I was sleeping with not only two locations, but photos of the types of products they carried so that I could evaluate whether it met my needs or not, and she came up with creative ideas to help me get what I wanted. When I missed her calls, she persistently but politely continued calling until she reached me and quickly sent me detailed text messages with information.