FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tipping rental car attendant (National)
View Single Post
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:12 am
Redwood839

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
So here’s what happened. I got to the executive aisle in Boston and there was nothing! A few minivans and Santa Fe’s. Nothing I wanted to drive cross-country. They had plenty in the Premier section: Jaguar F-Pace, Lincoln MKX, Volvo X60, and some sedans. I snooped around the Enterprise and Alamo sections and they were pretty empty as well. I asked the manager on duty if there was anything nicer than a Santa Fe he’d be able to offer me. He pulled up a base model Ford Explorer with 41,000 miles. I politely declined.

I ultimately found an Audi Q5 with 7,000 miles. I basically asked if he could hook me up considering the amount of business I do with National, but he was still pushing the up-charge. I then asked, pointing to the Audi, “Is there any way we can pretend this was in the Executive Aisle?”, and I offered him the folded $100 bill. He was shocked and said if the cameras saw him accept money he’d be in big trouble. I was embarrassed.

He told me to hang on and he would see what he could do. A few minutes later he brought up the Q5 for me, at no additional charge. I apologized for making him uncomfortable by offering a tip, and surprisingly he said, “Well if you insist on giving it to me, you can”. What a change of position in just 5 minutes! So I offered him the $100 bill again and he tells me not to be so obvious. So I get out a business card and put the bill under it so the cameras can’t see, which is what I should have done from the start. I think he thought about it for a few minutes and regretted not taking it initially.

So technically I would have got the Q5 for free if I had just kept my mouth shut, but $100 for a 23-day upgrade isn’t a bad deal at all! And he appreciated it. Next time I’ll be more discreet.
Haha, he regretted it the moment he said no to it.

I had this happen with Avis once, I was going on a 2000 mile trip and I kept getting an Explorer Limited which was nice but I wanted something nicer. I found an X5 on the lot and offered $200 and he jumped saying he couldn't take it. I walked in shame back to the Explorer, when he came from behind with another contract and keys and told me to meet him by the bathrooms, where he said they had cameras and microphones near the desk and accepted my $200 and gave me an X5 with 900 miles lol.