FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Call in - Web Services VS 1K Desk???
View Single Post
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:33 am
lincolnjkc

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dmunz
Very interesting to hear about the Web Services experiences. All tings considered, I wasn't that concerned about the GPU/RPU deal (I know it would get worked out), just interested in the direct answer by WS and the overall interaction.

On the 1K Desk side of things, I got caught up in the EWR mess Tuesday (7/14). I was supposed to fly from Myrtle Beach to LHR and they delayed and then canceled my MYR-EWR flight. I did get the instant rebook for the following day but that wasn't really helpful. While talking to the 1K agent, they offered a complete refund which I took. The agent said they offered the full refund (I was on a non-refundable D fare) because United canceled the flight. I didn't know that applied where weather was concerned so I probably would not have asked for the refund. Points to them this round.

FWIW
DLM
The refund-for-IRROPS in the contract of carriage (Rule 24(E)(3) and Rule 27(A) to be specific).

BUT... I've also found 1K-answering agents to be very accommodating of late. E.g. I was supposed to fly DCA-IAH-MEM on Tuesday, things went sideways and kept getting worse, with weather as the root cause. Called the 1K line and got a "yeah....nothing we can do to get you there today", asked if they could please check AA -- expecting no go (or "you'll have to pay", which I probably would have been happy to) because it was a weather situation. Agent thought it was futile because AA was just as impacted as UA but found a seat on DCA-MEM nonstop and got me booked as an INVOL/NO ADC. [Then American cancelled that flight because they lost a crewmember, completely botched things, including -- per the next 1K agent I talked to converting the eTicket to a paper ticker and refusing to give UA control of the coupon back -- but the agents got that sorted out and got me on UA the next morning. .

(Waiting in line for an hour the first time I went to AA for mediocre at best service and then looking at the line for CS after we deplaned/canceled vs. being able to call UA, get an agent in 10 seconds, and have him try every permutation of "well, can you get me to X tonight and then on to MEM first thing in the morning?" before he found something that would work makes me really appreciate the services enjoyed by 1Ks [AA's auto rebook tried putting me on a flight that departed at 5pm the next day, but I digress]