FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AGODA - What is an "obvious error"? - Peninsula Tokyo
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:15 pm
cestmoi123

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by LoungeLizzard
I've booked and paid a stay at the Peninsula Tokyo for this summer on Agoda.
The reservation is for two rooms, and this was all correctly displayed during booking.
Each room cost about USD 350 per night. What I paid was USD 700 per night for both rooms.

So far so good.

Now Agoda contacted me and told me that they made a mistake and they had only
charged me for one room.
They give me two options:
- either pay the same amount I've already paid before another time for a second room. (So one room is now USD700, two rooms USD1400/night)
- or they will cancel my booking after 24h notice and they refund what I've paid.

Not happy with either option.

When I read the Agoda T&C, it looks like they want to invoke the clause:
(...) In rare cases, we may also have to cancel or reject a booking or make adjustments due to “obvious errors”, independent of the origin of such errors. For clarity, an obvious error is a mistake on the Site (e.g. in terms of price, conditions, points) which a reasonable person would not consider to be normal. (...)

In my view, this clause is not applicable, because what they seem to claim is that I only paid one instead of two rooms (which is technically not correct).
This is the same as a 50% discount. It follows that a 50% hotel discount would not be considered as normal by a reasonable person.

Now when I look at their website, today, for the same booking period that they want to cancel my reservation, I see on top of the page another 5 star hotel,
and they offer it at 55% discount. My conclusion is that is that a 50% discount on a hotel room is something very normal in this industry.

Opinions?
So, if I understand you correctly, you booked for $350 per room per night, but they said it should have been $700 per room per night. Is that right? If so, that doesn't look anything like an "obvious error." It's an excellent rate for that hotel, but it definitely falls into the "hey, I got a great deal!" category, not the "somebody made a typo when uploading the rates" category. If it were 700 Yen/night, that would be an obvious error. $350/night is definitely in the range a reasonable person could consider to be normal.