FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Would you turn down a really good job if the travel policy was all Y?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:43 pm
trueblu

Programs: BA - Blue
This has been an interesting read. I work in a (Chinese) university. Our policy had been until recently Y for everyone, all distances, except that W was counted as Y because I think noone noticed: most of my colleagues book travel at the very last minute due to visa issues, so their flight costs (in Y) are much more than mine (in W, when e.g. I travel BA). Private US universities typically allow J for long-haul, IF the funds are not from US government sources. UK universities are by far the most miserly...typically Y only, but there are lots of fudge factors....

I travel about once a month long-haul, and being in W makes a big difference. I credit to AA because as EXP at least I get 4 SWUs a year. I wouldn't turn down a "dream job" however, because of travel policy...I've already, quite knowingly, chosen to be in a low paying job despite my education and skills...so clearly $$ have rarely been the major consideration. But would I prefer to travel in W/J: very much so!!

tb