FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Laptop Usage & 2 in 1's/Touchscreens...
View Single Post
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:28 pm
empedocles
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Laptop Usage & 2 in 1's/Touchscreens...

I'm thinking about replacing my 6ish year old Toshiba laptop. It is a 15.6" with the full keyboard (including number pad).

I use my personal laptop as a desktop replacement, so I prefer widescreens with bigger keyboards and the number pad. I (mostly) use it on a lapdesk with a mouse. Mostly web surfing/ streaming/ music/ shopping/ lesson planning/ data entry (entering grades and such). Take it on a trip once or twice a year, and will take it to a bar to do stuff over a beer sometimes. I also have a work laptop that mainly lives in its docking station in my classroom.

My desire is a faster processor and faster internet. I have cable internet, which hits 200 mbps on my phone when I do a speedtest. It shows 35-45 on my laptop, which I assume is due to outdated wifi/network equipment/protocols. When I plug in, the speed is the same.

Touchscreens and 2 in 1's intrigue me, but I wonder if it wouldn't be a waste due to my usage profile. I still desire the 15+ screen and the number pad. I don't care about weight. I tend to keep my laptops for 4+ years (unless I kill it). I don't really buy "good" computers, either, mainly low-to-midlevel consumer versions.

I guess I am mainly wondering about the utility of touchscreen and convertible laptops. Your thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Last edited by empedocles; Jul 16, 2018 at 1:12 pm