FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Not able to use SWU on Premium Economy?
View Single Post
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:52 am
checkerboard

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
Originally Posted by mwk190
Is it correct that the same-day EXP upgrades from Y to PE that initially were offered on transatlantic flights last year are no longer offered?
These weren't just for transatlantic flights; in my experience, these were also possible on flights to/from S.America.

A friendly Admirals Club agent offered this to me once, and I was surprised and delighted. Following his suggestion, I've quietly asked about it - and sometimes received it - on subsequent flights. Along the way, I've heard lots of conflicting info from various agents about this unpublished perk, but as best I understand it: until end of June 2018, it was fairly straightforward for lounge agents (or even gate agents) to process this, provided there was "P" inventory available for sale. This month, however, it's been less consistently available... in one instance, I was told (by an inexperienced lounge agent) that it wasn't possible to do any longer; but when I inquired at the gate, it took just a few keystrokes for me to be accommodated in PE. In another instance, flagship check-in was convinced it should be possible, but couldn't make the system do it, despite a wide-open PE cabin. For that flight, neither flagship nor lounge agents had any luck either - so flew in MCE. On my most recent flight where this came up - when I asked the admirals club agent what might be possible, she said it's kind of a mystery lately when it works and when it doesn't. All she could do was ask the computer, and it would either grant or decline the request. In that case, I again got lucky. It's a nice treat when it works out - but I won't be counting on it.