FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - More expensive economy ticket = cheaper upgrade to 1st?
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:48 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dpakman91
I'd like to fly on the Polaris 757, which there are a number of daily flights for from Boston on my route
If you're talking about BOS-SFO, note that while it's a lie-flat seat, you won't get the full Polaris service.

1. If they buy me an economy ticket, can I immediately upgrade it to first by paying the actual fare difference?
Yes. However, UA will often offer a discounted upgrade price, either immediately upon ticketing, from the Manage Reservation screen, or during check-in.

2. If so, given the same first class price, say $1300, would I pay less for the upgrade if the original economy ticket was more? ie, if first is $1300 on 3 different flights
UA often tries to keep a minimum difference between economy and first, although, yes, you will sometimes see this. When this is the case, the full buy-up to first will be smaller for the higher fare, although the discounted upgrade price probably won't be

should I ask the conference to buy the $600 economy ticket since the upgrade will only be $700[?]
That depends upon what kind of impression you'd like to make on the conference hosts.