FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Call in - Web Services VS 1K Desk???
View Single Post
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:42 am
fumje
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmunz
Going on 30 minutes on this call so I thought I'd write it up to kill time.

I called the 1K line to try and use an RPU to upgrade my sister in law who is traveling with us on vacation. The opening voice response asked if I was calling about the reservation I had just looked at on-line, I said "yes" and the person who answered said their name and "web services." I said that I was sorry, I wanted the 1K desk but they asked what I wanted to do and away we went.

I got them to understand that I wanted to use an RPU for a return flight for my sister in law (outbound is on an RJ). It all seems to go "ok" until they said "for verification, I have to ask you a few security questions, if you answer wrong your account will be locked." I'm used to the please provide your PIN bit but not an issue as I know the answers. Again, all seemed good but I was put on hold for a minute and the rep came back and told me something went wrong and they used a GPU instead of an RPU. For the last 36 minutes (as of right now...) I've been listening to the pleasant United on hold music.

As far as I can tell, there is nothing special about this trip. Myrtle Beach to Newark to Houston.

Am I wrong to think that a 1K rep would have this all sorted out in minutes? I have no idea who "web services" are or their level of expertise but this seems way out of balance. (And, this is the one call I chose NOT to participate in the feedback survey.)

Ok - 47 minutes and all done. They had to escalate to a supervisor who had to call Mileage Plus (aren't they all Mileage Plus?) for some reason to redeposit the GPU and pull the RPU.

Like I said, just killing time on hold so this is not really a rant. But I am curious if anyone else has had experience with calls passing through or over the 1K rep and going off the rails.

FWIW
DLM
I've been getting variable quality of service lately. Some (more experienced?) agents seem to know what to do or who to talk to. But some muddle around slowly and only barely get what needs to be done done. I think they are not keeping so many dedicated 1K agents now and sometimes route to the regular premier line, who are instructed to answer '1K desk' when they get the call.

If only the survey they offer could be taken on demand, rather than having to wait some unspecified period of time for a call back.

Here's an existing thread:
Consolidated "1K/Premier Call Line/eMail Experiences" Thread