FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Would you turn down a really good job if the travel policy was all Y?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:09 am
technical_bob

Programs: BA Gold
I have a job that expects long haul travel every quarter or so on average, usually for 5 days at a time but sometimes only for 2-3 days. It's a strict Y only policy. This is a US based technology company.

Except... nobody really knows how strict the policy is. People travel in a mixture of classes, sometimes paying out of pocket, sometimes (we suspect) not. There is (from word of mouth with an HR bod) a policy that allows managers to pay for premium economy at their discretion, but this is not written into the policy that's visible to everyone (there is a special manager's only part of our intranet that presumably says more). So overall there's an atmosphere of suspicion that some of us are getting short changed.

There is little impetus for change, because most of our senior leadership mostly travel domestic US, where the difference between Y and J is much less significant. Then they build up sufficient status/miles domestically that when they travel internationally they can usually get a free upgrade.

Anyway... I have an interview today with a financial firm that does provide J travel, so might be voting with my feet :-)