FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is it true other hotel points are better?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:26 pm
bigshooter

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by JinSda
I’m somewhat new to the points redemption game but a colleague told me that after the new redemption system kicks in 2019, Marriott points and spg will be the least valuable? His reasoning was that if you spend $3000 at any chain and pay with their cArd you will receive enough points to a redemption at Any property EXCEPT Marriott. $3000 x 10 for hyatt = 30k
$3000 x 25 = 75k for ihg and $3000 x 34 = 100k hilton but only $3000 x 21 = 63k for Marriott. I can’t find any fault in his reasoning. What keeps you guys coming back and making paid stays with spg/Marriott? I’m just looking for different opinions before making a decision for myself 2019. Cheers
You appeared to use earning for top tier status in these calculations. Unless you're staying at a ridiculously priced hotel $3000 in spend is multiple nights. Let's say 20x$150/nights. That's a minimum of another 10k (500 Plat amenity x 20 nights) points in arrival bonuses (Hyatt doesn't do that anymore, and no idea what Hilton or IHG are these days). Still not enough for a NEW category 9 room, but close. Also Marriott tends to run fairly generous promotions where you can earn more based on nights or stays. When Platinum Premier is upgraded to a 75% bonus earn on top of base rate that will bring things in line as well.