FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - rear facing seat
View Single Post
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:32 pm
swise

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by bambinomartino
I am reading this and scratching my head. I'm guessing it's the work of a European translator who's never lived in an English-speaking country. Please help!

1. Regarding the "inside seat belt" - what in the world does that mean? All rear-facing baby seats I've ever seen have seat belts that are I guess "inside" the seat. You know, the usual 5-point harness in the photo below.

2. I am more confused by the second sentence. What "latch" are they talking about? The car seat I am hoping to use for our infant is a Canadian one (regulations vary across countries I believe) and looks just like the one in the photo. The only things that actually "latch" are 1) the base on the right which has connectors that latch onto the metal anchors of a car's seat (hell, the technology itself is called LATCH), and 2) the actual car seat latches onto the base. The car seat can also be installed by itself by using the car/airplane seat belt. When flying other airlines we've never used the base, we've simply strapped - not "latched" - the car seat itself with the seat belt.

I have little choice but to fly Wizz, and they will not gate check a car seat for free, only the folding stroller part. I'm inclined to bring the base with me cause that's the only thing that does any "latching", but concerned they won't allow it and make me pay 100 euro or whatever if they deem it an extra piece of checked luggage.

Here is the picture:

I am guessing by latch they mean some kind of way that it can be secured in place with the passenger lapbelt style seatbelt. Yours does that, so you're fine. No need to bring the base. You'll slide the lap belt through the two notches on either side, and you're all set.