FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice for changing segment upgraded with miles to a later flight with R available
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:26 am
gusd

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Advice for changing segment upgraded with miles to a later flight with R available

I'm booked on a CLE-SFO-SIN return itinerary, with 1:44 connection time in SFO to the morning flight to SIN. I have upgraded using miles + copay, with CLE-SFO waitlisted and SFO-SIN confirmed (R was available). I would have preferred a longer connection in SFO and connect to the evening flight to SIN, but R was not available when I booked. But now, R has become available on the evening flight. I have a couple of questions as I contemplate things, hoping for your advice:
  1. If I call, would they be able to change my morning SFO-SIN to the evening one and transfer my confirmed upgrade (R is available). The change fee is $120, so not so bad.
  2. Should I ask for a return of miles and co-pay (is it possible) and then make the change myself online and upgrade again?
  3. Since I'm contemplating 1. above mostly because of the connection time, should I just not worry about the 1:44 connection time and not bother with the change at all? I'm dreading having to fly in Y if I misconnect (I know I should be able to get confirmed in J, but you never know if J is not available).
I appreciate your thoughts on this.