FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DYKWIA | 2018 edition
View Single Post
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:08 am
lhrpete
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
QR lounge in T4 last evening waiting patiently for QR16, I was sitting within sight of the entrance when I heard a man's raised voice so looked up. Someone who I can only describe as a Mr Gammon together with twenty something year old son was creating a rumpus and was demanding access to the lounge waving his gold card. The two staff members explained very patiently and quietly that the lounge is reserved to first and business class customers and that status cards don't grant access. Mr Gammon went ever more red as he told them they were wrong, did not know what they were talking about and that he knew as a BA gold member he could access any lounge and it didn't matter which class he was traveling in.

Staff again explained that he could access the MH lounge or the SkyTeam lounge but that the QR lounge was reserved to first and business passengers. Mr Gammon was having none of it gold card still waving and demanding the presence of someone who knew the rules as these two people didn't. Supervisor duly attended, listened to one round, reiterated the access rules, Mr Gammon argued and supervisor replied that if he was so discontent then she could arrange to offload him from his flight and return him landside and if that wasn't what he wanted he should leave the lounge immediately. Mr Gammon was by now scarlet, son not much better but saying he would be taking the matter 'further, much further, much, much further' he left the lounge.

I was in 11A - favourite seat (Qsuite) on the A35K with champagne in hand when Mr Gammon and son boarded somewhat late in the piece complete with BA gold tags on hand luggage, there was a queue stretching back from Y and he paused by my seat. I looked up, smiled, wished him good evening and sang the praises of QR and how marvellous the service was unable to resist adding that I had been relaxing and had dinner in the lounge and was now ready for sleep to which he grunted and all the more as he was eased to one side as a crew member brought me a cold towel and pjs.

I hope economy class lived up to his expectations. I did wonder if he was in transit at DOH and would have the same row all over again about the lounges there but fortunately never caught sight of him again.