FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using online car rental sites
View Single Post
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:45 am
arbj

Using online car rental sites

Hi,

I am looking at the possibility of using an online car rental site like rentalcars.com, for my driving tour of Vancouver (canada) and places around it.

I am an Indian citizen, my credit card does not have any rental insurance or any such policies, also I do not have any third party insurance policy with me. I only have a travel insurance for personal medical insurance.

I put in a search for 7 day rental (intermediate car), I got some offers for cars with CDW and third party insurance. I also selected complete coverage (zero excess), as I do not have any separate insurance for the rental car or for third party damages.

My question is

1. does the third party insurance offered here (rentalcars.com) cover all damages done to third person, property etc?? What will be total value of insurance covered ?? Do I need more ??

2. For CDW it says, when full coverage is selected, I do not have to pay for any damages done to the car (provided it is driven within the rules). I selected full coverage, now in this case what if I break the law inadvertently and there is an accident, does the CDW still apply??

3. The CDW/LDW offered by rental companies like hertz, avis etc are basically waivers, they are not insurance, so are the policies given by rentalcars.com really insurance or just waivers??

4. Could anyone point to an insurance company that offers insurance coverage for collision damages, third party etc?? Are there any companies that cater to tourists ??

thanks
a
4. Is it advisable to go directly to rental companies or through rentalcars.com is better?? price is probably one factor, but I am worried about insurance coverages etc.

Please help

thanks
a