FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC Comments on Proposed Transportation Modernization Act (Passenger Bill of Rights)
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:17 pm
skybluesea
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by yulred

Tilting the game? I don't follow.

The issue here isn't IDB. It's IDB compensation. If an airline chooses to inconvenience pax by pursuing IDB, it should compensate those pax accordingly. The government intervention here is levelling the playing field by establishing what reasonable pax compensation is for any airline that chooses to go down the IDB route. Same policy for all = level playing field, no?

If IDB is raising the cost of your ticket in an age of record profits, then I'm afraid the higher cost you're paying has precious little to do with IDB compensation policies.

Either way, how come you're in favour of the Government intervening in communications to explain IDB can happen? Why should it have to? AC can, after all, advertise that voluntarily, can it not? On the one hand, you appear to be against policy interventions, but on the other hand, you seem to accept that policy interventions are required to change airline behaviour. Which is it?
pax agree to IDB & the level of existing compensation in the AC contract so how is this inconvenient? Chose WJ if you do not wish to be inconvenienced!!!

you mean temporary record profits, arising from airlines pocketing the oil price crash...oh yeah Brent Crude today traded over $78 usd...ouch

in no way did I say that there should be zero intervention, I pointed out the cost of intervention which depends on the scale of action, and a key component of the marketplace is a buyer and seller being fully informed, so better marketplace communication is a highly recommended approach in the toolbox in the theory of the firm under regulation, And for Air Canada, this is already underway with regards to full price disclosure on the reservation system.

and if we wish to be serious about this, I would like to call out the minister of transport for sitting and supporting a cabinet policy for the legalization of cannabis, when the government of Canada has no way at present for a legally acceptable process for determining intoxication of flight crews, maintenance people etc.

so if the government wishes to intervene in the marketplace, probably a focus on public safety first is in everyone’s best interest