FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best non-"high-end" sushi in Tokyo?
View Single Post
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:10 pm
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by od_sf
Bentenyama doesn't have a "foreigner menu" - I don't know why you keep writing that they do. They have one menu, it is published on their web site for all to see:
Menu - ????????????????
I have been to Bentenyama by myself, and I have been with small groups of Tokyoites (Edokko folks, no less) and ordered from the same menu each time.
Now, this doesn't mean that regulars don't get preferential treatment over first time customers, of course they do, and as well they should.
Sorry, but I am going to continue disagreeing with you. The menu we were handed was in English, which is obviously a foreigner menu, laminated with photos, and it offered 3 "sets" - A, B and C (and there might have been a D, but I don't recall at this point, nor care as I am not going back). Omakase was refused, we were told to order a set only from the English menu handed to us, yet nearby Japanese customers were served omakase and quite obviously different fish and quality than was offered to us or the nearby foreigner couple. It was very clear the foreigners and Japanese customers were being served differently, and I've been eating sushi and spending time in Japan long enough to know the difference, and I noticed it so clearly because it was so brazen and obvious.