FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - food..food,,, feeding me ...feed me
View Single Post
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:35 pm
Randyk47

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by 747FC
Is the Silversea food that bad that it will be coming in at #4 ?

The message was definitely that the salmon was locally caught. What I am not sure about is whether the stock was wild or farm-raised.

The HA boat we were sailing was one of the lower passenger-capacity versions (Ryndam, which I think is now retired from their fleet). I don't know how widespread the salmon offering was and whether they just stocked the premier/extra cost dining room with freshest of the lot.
Speaking for myself I’d say your new number 2 will be Silversea. We find their food much better than Celebrity and Holland America. We have several cruises on all three so can kind of average out our experience. Sure we’ve had outstanding meals on all three and clunkers on all three but on the whole Silversea is better.

Yes the MS Ryndam left the HAL fleet and was transferred to P&O Australia in late 2015 so almost three years ago. It was sad for us to see her leave the fleet as she was my first real cruise ship in 1995 on her fifth or sixth cruise of her inaugural year and our honeymoon ship in March 1998.

Hard to say about the salmon. Things change and maybe they’ve gone away from the locally acquired fresh protein. All lines have seemingly caught some grief from health inspectors about both food storage and cooking temps so maybe frozen until ready for use is the safest answer. Cost cutting comes into play too.

People talk about ship chefs on both Seabourn and Silversea shopping locally for onboard meals but in nearly 100 days in the last five years on Silversea we’ve yet to see or be aware of that happening. The closest we got was the captain of the Silver Wind hosted a small dinner for eight of us while we were visiting Sonterra. That’s his home and his parents live in town. We had olives and other produce from their garden, homemade wine from an uncle, bread from his baker, and several kinds of sausage from his butcher. The head chef put a whole Italian dinner together using the captain’s supplies and regular ship’s stores. It was funny to have the ship’s sommelier pouring red table wine out of repurposed plastic liter water bottles. That was fun and quite a treat.

Last edited by Randyk47; Jul 9, 2018 at 1:58 pm