FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - South Africa and Victoria Falls
View Single Post
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:57 am
wijibintheair

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by teddy25

thanks for all the advise. We are thinking about Hwange. How is that comparing to Kruger? We wanted to do a day or so self drive at Kruger before a camp visit.
They are two quite different propositions. Hwange is more "wild" than Kruger. Arguably you will see more variety of game in Kruger, but possibly a larger quantity of game in Hwange. I would not really recommend doing self-drive in Hwange, but it is a great way to see Kruger. Ultimately the decision needs to come down to what is more appealing to you. If you did want to combine it with Kruger I would suggest something along the lines of:

Day 1 . Arrival in Johannesburg and overnight
Day 2 . Morning flight to Victoria Falls - afternoon to explore the town and visit the falls
Day 3 . Full day in Victoria Falls to do optional activities - anything from helicopter or microlight flips over the falls to canoeing, white water rafting, village visits etc
Day 4 . Morning in Vic Falls and then transfer to Livingstone Airport (so get a KAZA visa on arrival)and direct flight to Nelspruit. Unfortunately the flight lands at 15h25, and in May the camp gates close at 17h30, so maybe you will need to book a hotel just outside the park - like the Marriott Kruger Gate Lodge
Day 5 . Full day self-driving in the park - where you overnight I would say would have something to do with which private lodge you choose.
Day 6 . Morning driving in the park and then onwards to your lodge for lunch, safari and overnight
Day 7 . Full day at your lodge.
Day 8 . Morning safari and then drive car to the airport for flight to Cape Town.
Day 9 . Full day in Cape Town for excursions and visits
Day 10 . Full day in cape Town
Day 11 Full day in Cape Town
Day 12 . Depart from Cape Town

Depending on how many nights you want in Cape Town you could opt for one more on safari and one less in Cape Town. There are direct flights from Hoedspruit (HDS) / Skukuza (SZK) and Nelspruit (MQP) - the one you choose would be dependent on the lodge you choose. There are just so many lodges to choose from in the Kruger area it is hard to make recommendations. Feel free to PM me if you want and give more details of the type of lodge you are looking for and I can make some recommendations.