FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC Comments on Proposed Transportation Modernization Act (Passenger Bill of Rights)
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:22 am
yulred

Originally Posted by ffsim
While I applaud The Globe (and others) for clearly identifying "opinion" pieces, this one should be filed under "lobbying effort" -- or, even better, "industry shill":

My favourite quote from the piece: Fixing the system will have to wait."

Um, no. We've waited long enough. Get your acts together and stop making your problems my problems.
My favourite quote is: "Creating policy in response to outliers is an unusually imperfect and risky business". I suspect that depends on the nature of the "outlier". The more egregious the outlier, the higher the likelihood of policy intervention. The vast majority of the population do not, for example, engage in illegal activities. Should we ignore those activities as outliers?

Its unfortunate that we've reached a point - globally - where airline behaviour has become so poor that policy interventions are required. The author would do well to dwell on airline behaviour instead. If he had advised his member airlines to sort out IDB compensation, CTA wouldn't have had to make a policy intervention. For some reason, he didn't.

Even for a paid lobbyist, this is very intellectually lazy stuff. I'm actually embarrassed for him.