FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Higher Price if I'm logged in?
View Single Post
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:58 am
gdude

Still happening is 2018

In 2018 I just observed my rate going up when I login. I also tried clearing the AWD or other codes, and other combinations; it's not the AWD. Logging in with my preferred ID increases my rate consistently all else being constant. The difference today was over $100.

I used the chat box to talk to customer service and they said this is a "known glitch." I was told to book the car without logging in, and I could have it associated with my ID later on, somehow. I've done that in the past and can attest that the phone support people can do that, but that's not good enough.

The fact this has been happening for some 6 years is inconsistent with the claim it's a "glitch." It seems like a deceptive business practice and does a great job of antagonizing their most consistent customers. I cannot help wondering if they use the fact I often book expensive cars. I have heard of other web sites doing this kind of thing (inflating prices based on inferred buying patterns of a specific user) intentionally and systematically, but this is a striking and repugnant example; I also thought it had been determined bad business practice.
I generally like using Avis since they have become familiar and habitual for me, but this is enough to make me reconsider.

Last edited by gdude; Jul 10, 2018 at 6:52 am Reason: typos