FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2 miles/EUR spent or 10% off on booking.com?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:00 am
East_and_West

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by GBobon
As you probably noticed, when you book hotels on booking.com via Aegean there is no option to log in, as you do have when book thru KLM or LH. So due to this reason, I cannot get my 10% off (genius s**t) but I get 2 miles/EUR spent, while KLM and LH gives you 10% off but 1 mile/EUR.

What are you choosing?
When it comes to such issues, I compare my monetary gain to the price of miles. In the aforementioned case, A3 sells 1000 miles for 25 euro. Knowing that, you simply need to do the math. Suppose that the hotel reservation in question costs X euro, or 0.9*X after your genius discount (or a secret deal, or whatever...). Unless there is some special reason (e.g. you need to reach some threshold on your M&B account to book an award flight), booking via LH (or KLM) is most likely the best choice for you. Let's see an example with X=300 euro.

Option A (via LH or KLM): 270 euro and 270 miles
Option B (via A3): 300 euro (30 euro more) and 600 miles (330 additional miles)

So Option A is definitely not worth it. You can go for Option B (book via LH or KLM), credit 270 miles to your M&M or FlyingBlue account, and then buy 1000 M&B miles from A3 for 25 euro, paying 295 euro in total. This way, compared to Option A, you earn 270 additional M&M miles, 400 additional M&B miles, and even save 5 euro. ^

Additional gains from Option B are higher for more expensive reservations.