FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Apology for earlier thread on overweight passenger..
Old Jul 10, 2004, 6:20 am
PAUL PALMER

Well done you!

The problem with writing electronically is that once it is gone - it is less easy to recover. Equally people write email and write on these sort of Boards saying things that they would never dare say to the face of the person concerned Had you written that, saved it, and come back in the morning you would probably never have posted it. It is called the grace of second thought.
You do not sound to me like someone who would deliberately set out to offend or insult anyone. I note that it is not the theme but your choice of words that have caused the frisson.

Still, I believe in free speech, and you were not insulting or speaking to or about (as far as we know) anyone here so you were expressing your opinion. If others took offense, that is for them to deal with. On this side of the Atlantic, you'd probably have got away with it, on your side it was not a case of would the thread be closed, but how soon would it be closed.

I think that you are perfectly entitled to your opinions, but I think that your apology is more than handsome, and a lot more than many of us might do.

Best Regards