FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - food..food,,, feeding me ...feed me
View Single Post
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:18 am
747FC

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
We have been on Seabourn (x3), HA (x2), Celebrity (x4), Costa (x3), and NCL (x1), so my comments are based on these experiences:

Our (perhaps deluded) self-concept is that of a "Foodie." We live in a place with some great restaurants, and travel to places with wonderful dining options. Sometimes when we do port calls, our object is to have lunch at a particular restaurant. We are not swayed by the number of Michelin stars possessed by a restaurant--they have to earn it when we walk in the door.

We have learned to have low expectations of cruise ship food. Compared to land-based restaurants that operate in an intensely competitive environment, no way can you find consistency in raw materials or personnel/expertise on the high seas.

Our single best meal at sea, and one of the best meals ever, happened to be at HA's Pinnacle Grill. We were in Iceland, and they had just loaded on some fresh salmon. The meal was indescribably good. Five stars. That, however, was a true anomaly. We find that the more common seafaring meal is either too salty or lacking in tenderness.

Of the cruise lines upon which we have voyages, my rating would be:

1. Seabourn
2. Celebrity
3. Costa and Holland America
4. NCL

Even though Seabourn is my highest -ranked for cuisine, there have been some real misses, However, given the intimate atmosphere aboard and the service culture, they do try to make amends and get it right.

We are looking forward to our Silversea adventure this September.