FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best non-"high-end" sushi in Tokyo?
View Single Post
Old Jul 8, 2018, 10:00 pm
Duke787
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Apologies this question really belongs in both this thread and the high end/Michelin thread but this one is more active so I'm putting it here.

Thanks to PPT - NRT opening up, we have a night in Tokyo on the tail end of our honeymoon in September (no complaints here -- will make 5 straight years with at least 1 night in Tokyo which I'm very happy about). Question is where should we go for sushi. I'm torn between aiming for a high end place (we have just enough time we could potentially pull still snag a reservation though doubtful CY Ginza / CY Tokyo Station have deep connections anywhere) and a mid-tier place (say the top of the non-high end place).

My initial thought was Kyubey since we'll be staying at either CY Ginza or CY Tokyo Station (since post August 1 they will cost the same and CY Tokyo Station is more convenient to go to/from NRT for an overnight).

What else would be worth exploring? I did Kyubey Keio Plaza on my own on a work trip last year and thought it was in the B+ area (not quite as good as Iwa and nowhere near as good as Yoshitake which are the two other higher end places I've been) but I've never been to the original.

The honeymoon is going to quite pricey so I'm looking to avoid the Yoshitake-esque prices this time though if something like Saito was available I'd probably find a way to make it happen but hoping to find something that is better than anything we can get in North Carolina (not a high bar) without breaking the bank ($75-100++/person Omakase or lower).