FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Argentina POS and resident only fares
View Single Post
Old Jul 8, 18, 7:17 am
iahphx
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are resident-only fares going away with this new move by the Argentine gov't to deregulate domestic airfares?

https://airlinegeeks.com/2018/07/04/...mestic-market/

It will certainly be interesting to see what happens to the airline industry in Argentina. Ridiculously high airfares for foreigners has been frustrating to visitors for years (something I forgot to mention when I was recently asked "what's uniquely annoying about travelling in Argentina"). Lower fares -- especially ones that aren't restricted to residents -- would be most welcome. I've gotten around this problem by redeeming for award seats on LATAM, usually through the BA Avios program, but LATAM has gotten stingier with allocating award seats so my flight choices are often limited. Being able to buy non-discriminatory published domestic airfares would be great. But I do suspect that the flying experience in Argentina will get worse as it gets cheaper. In Chile, unregulated domestic airfares are now very cheap. but the service is pretty poor: it's been a race-to-the-bottom in seat comfort as everyone (including LATAM) has tried to cram as many seats as possible onto their aircraft.