FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]
Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:12 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Nobody's "judging," and chargebacks are supposed to be a last resort, not a first resort.
The way your post is written, questioning the OP why he would dispute a $9 charge, gives the impression that you think the OP's dispute is not legit.

It goes without saying that one should contact the merchant first to resolve the issue.

However there are scenarios that there is no way to resolve it with a merchant.

Once SNCF at Cote Azure staged a strike after 1pm but it still sold me a R/T train ticket in the morning between Cannes and Monte Carlo. We were almost stranded in Monaco and in danger of missing our ship. There was no way to get SNCF refunded the unused half portion of the train ticket because of the strike. I disputed the transaction with Citicard for 50% of the ticket price. Citi's rep handled that over the phone, no more question after I explained the situation.

I also have a Holiday Inn in Italy charged me 5 months after a stay using the IHG card's annual free night cert because the hotel did not know how to handle it. Each time I contacted the hotel over the phone, the other end insisted no English speaking staff on duty and on the last couple calls they simply hang up. IHG guest relationship insisted it could not help. So I disputed this with Chase. 10 days later the hotel issued a credit. Eventually Chase sent a postcard to inform me since the merchant has refunded, Chase would remove the credit it issued. Case closed.