FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Canadian SPG American Express
View Single Post
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:54 am
FlyerTalker70

AmEX SPMarriott Letter Scan & Summary

Originally Posted by Jared Ito
Did the letter say anything else?
I've received a similar letter today for my Canadian AmEx SPMarriott card and have taken a scan of the letter for fellow FTers to see in the meantime, which you'll find here.

To summarise:
  1. Earn rate is 5 points per dollar at SPMarriott properties and 2 points everywhere else
  2. Free night certificate which can be redeemed at properties costing up to 35,000 points per night
  3. Ability to earn one final free night certificate for properties costing up to 35,000 points per night once you spend $40,000 in purchases before your annual reset/anniversary date
  4. Complimentary Silver status with the ability to get Gold status after charging $30,000 in purchases each year
  5. Complimentary Premium Internet Access
  6. Complimentary Supplementary Cards
  7. Elite night credits to be announced by end of year
One question that's unanswered to me is how supplementary cards work in this program. For instance, if my SO has a supplementary SPMarriott Card will they also get complimentary silver, elite night credits and a free night certificate?

In any event, I suspect this card could become a keeper, especially if those free night certificates can be used in lucrative ways (i.e. booking a New Year's eve at a Marriott in NY anyone?) The points devaluation is a bit of a bummer for me but most of the time I use my Gold AmEx since I find MR points to be more valuable with airline partners and the various redemptions options available.

Safe Travels,

James