FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Where to stay in TAIPEI?
View Single Post
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:21 pm
gengar

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Given no specific location requirements, my Taipei choice is the Marvelous Suite at the W - but the W doesn't fit into the category of luxury hotels typically discussed on this forum. I like the W primarily for location; I prefer taking the MRT, which is accessible fully indoors from the W so long as the Hankyu department store in the same building is open, and the W is on the busy and central Blue line. It is also now possible to walk to Taipei 101 from the W completely via covered walkways (again, so long as the Hankyu is open, due to the underground connection to the new Cathay Landmark Building next door). I typically go out at night in Xinyi, so also convenient to the W.

I have not stayed at the MO or even seen the rooms, but I walked the property a few years ago and never considered staying there as a result. I thought the common areas of the hotel were poorly laid out and generally lacked flow, and I hated the decor in many places (esp. the arcade) as it felt tacky faux European. The staff that we interacted with were stuffy and disinterested. I also disliked that even the casual dining venue had a dress code, which IMO is absurd given Taiwan's oppressive summer climate and general cultural casualness. From the pictures, the hard product does look typically MO though, so it is an option if that's the priority.

The Shangri-La is another possibility that has been well-reviewed by both Taiwanese and westerners I know who have stayed there, but also suffers from lack of access to the MRT - although the general area is not as uninteresting as that around the MO.

It'll be interesting to check out the PH and Andaz when they open, but that won't be a for a few years.