FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:03 am
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by 1000k00
I used a friends account to fund my booking for ZA trip. I may have to cancel due to medical reasons, trip in OCT.. When the miles are redeposited will they go to my account or be returned to my friends account? Taxes that were paid? Just want to be prepared ahead of time.
As has been said, the taxes and fees would go to the original FOP (credit card, etc.) used. The miles would be available for redeposit to the account the miles originated from upon payment of the redeposit fee - usually $150 for the first award redeposited and $25 for subsequent awards from the same account. (If there are significant involuntary schedule changes - over two hours usually - the award may be cancelled and redeposit fees will be waived.

An option is the award can be changed to as far out as one year from the original date of issue without change fees if the same award class (SAAver, I assume) is available.