FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand
Old Jul 1, 2018, 3:29 pm
Kalboz

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
I'll ask for advice here and maybe someone will be kind enough to reply.

My wife and I are visiting Bangkok for the first time later this year. We're tourists and no business is involved. We are totally unfamiliar with Bangkok for the tourist.

My current status is Plat (also Lifetime Gold) and my wife is currently Gold (based on elite night credits). If I understand the new Marriott elite categories, I will become Platinum Premier on Aug 1 (and also Lifetime Plat) and she will become Plat.

I have a 5 night reservation at the Sukhumvit Soi 57 based on the positive comments I've seen. 4 of the nights are covered by (legacy) Chase category 1-5 e-certificates and 1 night is on points.

(1) I noticed that the Athenee will be a category 4 (25K points) and I'm wondering if I should consider a switch. To do this, after August 1, I'd have to see if I could switch over our 4 e-certificates. TripAdvisor rates the Athenee much higher than the Marriott Sukhumvit.

I know that this is a Marriott thread, but can anyone comment on the Athenee versus the Soi 57 for a tourist. Should I make the effort to switch hotels, or should I just be happy with what I've already got at the Soi 57? (I try very hard to treat my princess well.)

(2) Here's a second question. Looking at a map of the BTS, it looks like the Soi 57 is near the Thong Lo station and the Athenee is a short walk to the Phloen Chit station. If we were traveling to the Grand Palace, would that difference of 4 stations have any significant effect on our travel time?

Thanks.
I have had many stays at both, the Marriott 57 (last stay in 2016) and the Plaza Athenee (between 2006 and 2010). The Athenee Hotel has been upgraded recently to a Luxury Collection Hotel which probably means more like the SGS than a Le Méridien.

- I have been upgraded at the Athenee before to an apartment looking suite. But they are known in the past to be stingy on upgrades. If upgrade to a suite is important to you, then the Marriott 57 wins on this one.
- Lounge: the Marriott is located on the 40th floor while the Le Royal Club Lounge is on the 26th floor. Both excellent in terms of service but better premium booze selection at the Athenee lounge during happy hour.
- Food at both lounge and breakfast at restaurant are excellent. But I believe the 57 has a better breakfast selection their restaurant (57 Cafe) and the Athenee has better happy hour food at the lounge.- but gotta remember, it has been few years since I partook.
- Great pools at both properties.
- Location: both excellent - Thong Lo area is very quite with expats and Japanese neighborhoods nearby. 10-minute short walk from the Athenee and you will end up at lower Sukhumvit and its infamous night life.

The Athenee:

Marriott Sukhumvit 57:

The difference in time from Thong Lo (Marriott 57) and Phloen Chit (Athenee) BTS stations to the river is negligible.