FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LOT Polish Airlines (LO) award booking experiences, phantom inventory, ...
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:56 am
Aussienarelle

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by shelanman
After wasting many hours already, I fear I know the answer, but maybe someone here has a suggestion?

So, I transferred many 1000s of points from UR to UA today to buy a biz *A award ticket to Europe (specifically, LAX-WAW-KRK on LO in I). After completing the purchase and getting a confirmation number, I got a message that the flight was confirmed but could not be ticketed. UA reps now tell me that the flight isn't really available (and, in fact, that *none* of the listed flights between LAX and anywhere in W. Europe in biz during the week I intended to travel are really available).

Has anybody here managed to get any reasonable help for a situation like this? If so, any suggestions for how to get not-useless responses?

Or am I just stuck?

On a related note, for the future, is there any guidance on how to tell which flights advertised are likely to be fake, so that I don't get taken in again? This is the second time this has happened to me (though the last time, I was able to quickly find a replacement not-fake flight and ended up OK.
Usually when I book non UA metal on an 016 ticket I get a warning that United needs to confirm space availability. This is on paid tickets so perhaps they do not provide the same caveat for award tickets. I have booked award tickets through UA but am not sure if I remember the message appearing.

I do know I recently tried to book 016 tickets on non UA metal and they error out as the inventory is not really avaliable. Ended up buying directly with another sirline.

Is there a fee to transfer the points back (please excuse my ignorance as I do not transfer points)? Is it possible to book directly with LO using points or do you need a combination of your MP points and the points you transferred?

I will be interested in the suggestions of others more experienced in this area as it is frustrating at times.