FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - $50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:49 pm
RumPatrol

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by mia
Why is a "free" $50 item more valuable than saving $50 on a $200 item?
See below:

Originally Posted by acarney
It isn’t... if you already shop there. If you don’t shop there, then spending $200 just to *save* $50 isn’t a great deal...
Bingo. I've probably spent money at the main Saks once in a decade. Absurdly over priced, saving $50 on something that is $200 at Saks that I could get for $100 online or at an Off 5th if I just have patience isn't useful. If you shop at Saks, then you're in good shape. If you're just looking to get value out of the credit without spending any extra dollars, finding something that's $50 every 6 months is going to be a tough task.

Originally Posted by Gig103
It *says* no gift cards, but they say that with the airline credit too. Not sure I'm going to be the one to test that out. $100 once a year would be more useful than $50 x2.

I'm honestly going to see if my buddy wants to let me use his $50 in July, and then he can have my $50 in January.
I'm really curious about this too, hopefully we see some data points on people who bought a Saks GC and did/did not get a credit. Amex says no GC for all their credits but obviously we all know there are workarounds. I'm not going to be the guinea pig but we should get some data points pretty quickly. I have no idea how they'd tell the difference between a GC and non-GC purchase, especially if done in-store. Shame Off 5th doesn't work though, would make using this credit way easier.