FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex Serve master thread (2017-2023)
View Single Post
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:59 pm
inm8num2

For the past few years I've been pushing $1 deposits from my Amazon Payments account each month to waive the monthly Serve fee. However, I'd like to add my Serve account as an external account to one of my main banking accounts so that I can push the monthly deposits from there instead (AP balance will run out eventually, and there's seemingly no way to reload it from another bank - I can only withdraw).

I've tried adding my Serve card/account to two different bank accounts (one of them is Chase). In both cases that bank successfully sent the trial deposits but couldn't withdraw them (presumably because the Serve account/routing numbers are for ACH deposits only). So I was unable to verify the Serve account in each case and the verifications failed.

This raises a peculiar issue - if the DD account and routing numbers are for deposits only, would that mean that Serve accounts can't be verified as an external accounts with any banks using trial deposits for the above mentioned reason?

I also tried linking the account to Ally Bank, hoping I could do an instant verification instead of trial deposits, but I receive this message:

According to our records, this account was previously suspended from the Funds Transfer Service therefore it cannot be added at this time. For information relating to this account, please contact a Ally Bank customer service representative.
Would this be due to the other two banks being unable to pull back the trial deposits, causing my Serve account # to somehow be flagged by the FTS?

I've used my Serve card mainly for AmEx offers or other small purchases, but I haven't been loading each month to churn for miles (I probably should have!). In other words I have no reason to think my Serve account itself has been limited in any way by AmEx - everything seems in good order in my account online.

So overall I'm a bit confused. Basically I'd like to be able to push deposits to my Serve card from other bank accounts. This seems impossible due to the limitation on ACH pulling in the verification process, unless I'm missing something. If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it. Thanks.