FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Maldives Recs for 2019 trip
View Single Post
Old Jun 27, 2018, 4:18 pm
bhrubin
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Thanks for the summary review comparing Cheval Blanc and Velaa, @MacMyDay!

It sounds like you didn’t have negative issues with Velaa like so many others. What gives?

AIR CON? All well and good...but how is the air con in the villas and any of the indoor restaurants at either? Do the OW villas have air con that cool as well as those on land? These are critical questions of importance to those of us who are hot-blooded.

SCUBA DIVING? And does anyone have experienced perspective on the scuba diving sites in the vicinity between the two resorts—and compared with others of the top luxury properties? My impression is that Velaa has pretty good dive sites in the vicinity, while Cheval Blanc is better for snorkeling. But I still expect the FS Explorer and even the FS Landaa Giraavaru have superior diving. Anyone with serious knowledge of diving, please do advise!

My biggest problem with Bora Bora was that the scuba diving was poor for anyone who is actually experienced and not a honeymooner marveling at a few pretty fish for the first times. I am sure that this is an endemic issue in the Maldives, too, especially with the propensity of honeymooners and vacationers who likely dive for the first time or who have little perspective on amazing dive sites around the world.

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
I can absolutely see why Cheval Blanc and Velaa are so closely compared as the best within the Maldives. It seems almost like they counter each other in every area: where one excels, the other falters. The rooms at Cheval Blanc are undeniably better, yet the beaches at Velaa are amongst the best I've ever experienced and the freedom of walking barefoot around the entire island is wonderful; the overall attention to detail at Cheval is immense, yet our butler was better at Velaa; the activities are Velaa are only bettered by Laucala, whereas Cheval Blanc has some of the best dining options in any resort. It goes on and on, even down to the teppanyaki at Cheval being great, whereas at the fine dining at Velaa was better; Velaa is better at black cod, but Cheval is better at beef carpaccio; I preferred my massage at Velaa, but Lucie preferred hers at Cheval.

I don't think anyone could deny that the rooms at CB are far better than Velaa, but I much preferred being led directly onto the beautiful beach with soft, white sand at Velaa. The spa, activities and setting are unequivocally better than Cheval Blanc, and I suppose the rest is up for discussion. I still prefer Cheval Blanc, but I had much more fun at Velaa.

What was interesting was hearing both GMs talk fondly of each other, yet trying to differentiate themselves by saying the type of guest most likely to visit their neighbour, but both assumed the same of each other, that is, they both assumed the type of person that would go to the other property was someone different to who actually stays in their property. So let me tell you how they separate. Cheval Blanc is like your elegant, successful Aunt that everyone looks up to and admires; Velaa is your crazy Uncle that let you go watch Aliens when you were 9, then let you drink beer for his own amusement. Sure, we all love Aunt Mildred, but really our fond memories are with Uncle Cletus. I had probably the most fun I've ever had on holiday, with great memories of flying around at 35mph on jet skies....with the GM deciding to join us. There are times where you just appreciate life, and this was one. Yes, it costs $700, but I’ve eaten hundreds of meals that cost that and gave me nothing.

Submarines, jetpacks, yachts faster then speedboats, squash courts, climbing wall, tennis courts, largest gym I've ever seen, football with the staff, live pianists and bands...that's Velaa.

Price wise, Cheval and Velaa are very similar, but the main difference is the lack of group activities at Velaa, so if you want to see dolphins then cough up $2000 compared to $145/pp on a shared tour at Cheval. I like dolphins, but not that much. Perhaps better we leave them alone, I say.

So pack your bags, Mike, you're going to Velaa!

And if you don't like Velaa, try telling that to his 31 year-old man-child. Just look at that stupid grin on his stupid face, having the time of his life:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132880...57692601477570

Last edited by bhrubin; Jun 27, 2018 at 4:23 pm