FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Would you turn down a really good job if the travel policy was all Y?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:39 am
Wong Jnr

Programs: BA, SQ
Originally Posted by Jagboi
A company I worked at had a Y only policy and co-workers were working on a contract with a government department in Pakistan. I forget the exact routing but it was something like YYC-FRA overnight flight, 15 hour layover, FRA-DXB- 12 hour layover then DXB-KHI. I think it was something like 50 hours in planes and airports all in Y with no lounge access.

When they finally arrived it was straight into the office for all day meetings where it 40 degrees and no air conditioning in the building, and they had left in Canadian winter and were not used to that heat. My collogue said they were all walking zombies at that point and had no idea what they actually signed. A case of penny wise and pound foolish I think.
Friend of mine used to work for a large pharma and junior staff were expected to fly long haul Y and go straight to meetings. That all stopped when some poor chap fell asleep at the wheel and was killed. They changed their policy after that to if they had meetings within a certain time after a flight it would be J, otherwise if Y a nights rest would be given.
Unfortunately we live in a world where something has to go terribly wrong before common sense is acted upon...

Back to the topic though, I've recently taken a job half way across the world with the same group, in a more senior position but with a Y policy, where as previously it was J.
That I can live with as my occasional trip from SIN-KUL is far easier than LHR-KUL that I used to do