FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which destinations have cheap tours and ground transportation once you have landed?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:30 pm
youranut

Which destinations have cheap tours and ground transportation once you have landed?

I usually let fare price determine our destination. Considering there are so many places to go it makes the decision easier. Last week we were eyeing a flight to Portland and was looking for things to do in the area. One thing that caught our eye was a picture of a waterfall at Silver falls state park. We decided not to go to Portland because of the expense of getting to the state park. It is 1.5 hours drive from Portland if we rented a car. Or we could ride a bus for 3 hours to Mehama and walk/hitchhike an additional 12 miles to the park. Or we could possibly Uber it for 100$+ one way from Portland. So the cheap fare wasn't enough to justify the trip.

But it got us thinking. I started to search for tours that included Silver Falls park and found one for $90. It is little pricey but the tour includes other locations. We aren't interested in the other locations and would rather spend the day at Silver Falls. How would you accomplish this without dropping 90$+ per day on transportation?

And along those lines, do you know of any destinations (preferably awesome nature areas like national parks, etc) that have public transportation options to get there? Not only do I not want to pay for a rental car, I don't want to drive one either. I'd rather be a rider and use the time to read or be engaged with my fellow travelers.