Old Jun 24, 18, 2:36 pm
SightseeMC

Programs: OZ status chasing, Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Not even the same nature.

I have an IB account created in 2015. Each time I went there (may be 3 times a year just to check the IB bookings using partner programs) the website would bring me to Registration page and told me to complete my registration - and it would not go to 2nd screen when pressed Continue.

Good luck to those who wanted to buy the Avios on the cheap. Personally I would rather pay AA a 10% more miles and cash to book with AA miles than using IB Avios which I can transfer a ton from BA but the dealing with IB definitely is NOT worth the time and effort involved with that little saving.
I've only been dealing with IB for a year, but had only small issues (most of which were solved by using Explorer and not Chrome when visiting the site). As for AA, well:

IB ORD - MAD: 68K to Europe + $237 r/t off-peak, unless it's a sale like earlier this year where it's 51K. Position to ORD is affordable; in my case from PHX it was $330 but you could use Avios instead. If all 90K were used for positioning and TATL, that's about $300 for flights plus, say, $200 for 2 other positioning r/t tickets. $740 for a typical award booking (economy positions, J TATL) seems...a good deal?

AA PHX - MAD: 115K + $11 r/t. 47,000 AA miles (115K - 68K) on sale at 2 cents each is $940. That $940-$740 = $200. That's assuming you earned the other 68K AA miles organically and have them on hand. if you were to buy all the AA miles for a similar experience (hey, you *might* get domestic first class, or you might not) that would cost you $2,300 on sale, $2035 on ultra-sale. That's a bit more than 10% costlier than the current IB deal.

Earlier this year I flew myself and my wife r/t Chicago to Portugal (ORD - MAD in J) for 5,000 miles and $550 more than it would have cost for just one AA ticket. Zero issues on getting the promo Avios, zero issues booking awards during the sale frenzy (though this one will be exponentially worse), zero issues with the flights and lounges. IB may be more difficult than AA, but they aren't a disaster in my experience. ~$750 for lie-flat to Europe is easily worth the risk IMHO, and definitely more than 10% cheaper than AA.