FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Egypt visa on arrival questions
View Single Post
Old Jun 23, 2018, 11:39 pm
IAN-UK
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Dselvan
I think it is the wording on the website IAN-UK, not you. Let us know how it goes.
I suppose I had my passport already scanned on my computer for other things before and only took me about a minute or so to resize. The wording is very funnyon the website and once you understand what the website is asking, it is fine. Next time will take you only 5 mins
OK. The experience was less than sunny. Although the application was acknowledged and the payment showed as "pending" on my credit card, cash was never actually taken, and the whole process lapsed, collapsed without explanation. Maybe a one-off, but the only one I have to report.

On the other hand I have to report a less than happy VOA experience.

The first one in many years of frequent visits to Cairo. Only one of the (half dozen) visa counters in T3 was open, the Emirates NBD bank, and it was very busy.

I was attended to by a super-courteous employee, who sadly miscounted my change, keeping back a single EGP100 note: as he did exactly the same to my companion, behind me in the queue, it looks like a nasty little scam.

Easy to correct the transaction if the "error" is noticed at the counter by the customer, but sub-$5 is likely to go undetected if not caught at the counter.

So a nice little earner for a dishonest bank employee, Le 100 from every few customers over a long and busy day.

So advice is: You'll get a printed receipt for any transaction. Verify the transaction and the balance shown with the notes you are given. Sounds obvious, but I notice many visitors just shoving the bundle of unfamiliar currency into their pockets - i guess thinking "it's a bank: i can trust it".