FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Separate ticketing / PNR: AA, oneworld, through baggage & protection issues > 2016
Old Jun 22, 2018, 7:35 pm
GunsOfNavarone

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by shadpuff
I everyone, I asked this on the JAL forum but didn't hear back. I've booked a MEL-NRT-ORD business ticket on JAL, with the idea of connecting (2.5h connection time) onto an economy AA flight ORD-ATW that I had purchased using miles -- so two separate PNRs.

I know I need to pick bags up in customs, but given I am moving 3x bags and the limit at 70lbs, do you think JAL will allow me to tag the bags to ATW if I show them the separate PNR? Two phone calls to both JAL and AA reps seem have mixed answers. I know AA won't do it once I get to ORD. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Hello, I travel multiple times per year involving different PNRs, not to save money but to facilitate different sub-organizations that have to pay for each segment. I almost always fly full fare Y, and on some OCONUS trips fly in J.

I have found that getting luggage checked through is always a luck of the draw. On a Y ticket out of a remote AA airport, have had no issues. On a INTL J fare out of DFW, at the EXP Biz class check in- no way. I have found partners such as Finnair and JAL to be very accommodating in tagging the bag all the way through on separate PNRs. AA in MIA and DFW have been steadfast- NO.

There may be risk involved checking through multiple PNRs involving AA. On a flight from HEL-MAD-DFW had my name called out during final boarding at MAD on a paid J (I am a flyer that likes to board at the end- spend as little time on the plane as possible). AA at MAD pulled me aside and questioned how my bag was tagged through. They were ok with it, but it raised a flag for them. After boarding the plane, i wondered if my bag was at risk of being impounded at MAD, and I would not of known it.

You might want to review your courses of action, to decided if it is safe/ beneficial to have your bags checked through on different airlines and PNRs.