FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LUS Routings vs LAA Routings
View Single Post
Old Jun 22, 2018, 3:39 pm
C17PSGR

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by arc727
Why has it taken nearly 5 years to integrate planes and personnel into one network? This may be a silly question because I’m not sure what goes on “behind the scenes,” but it seems like this should have happened awhile ago.

I’m always interested to know what planes go where and why. For example, some LAA routes are using LUS equipment already (take DFW-ATL on an A320, for example), but what purpose does that serve? So I wonder if we’ll see a whole bunch of cross-fleeting later this year, or it it’ll be pretty much the same as now.
Among other things, an airline has procedures that are approved by the FAA. Those procedures go into great detail, ranging from weight and balance to procedures to emergency procedures. Changing those procedures requires approval by the FAA, which is horribly backlogged. So, LUS and LAA each have their own procedures and their crews are trained to those procedures.

So while an LAA A321 might (or might not) have an identical cockpit to a LUS A321, the FAA has approved slightly different procedures for each airline. Until the FAA approves those procedures and the crews are trained on the integrated procedure, they really can't integrate crews. You wouldn't want a FO and a Captain following different procedures during an emergency descent!

Having approved procedures is one reason why ancient airlines still operate aircraft. For example, that's why Piedmont, Midwest Express, PSA are still "airlines" operating aircraft. It's easier to approval to implement procedures for a new aircraft at an existing airline than to get the certificate and procedure approved for a new airline.