FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel, Romania [Master Thread]
Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:07 am
Duke787
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Karen2
NO NO NO! Dreadful location. Hotel is fine but you want to be at the HILTON! Next to the opera house, art museum, all the historic parts of Bucharest. Hop on bus is right there also. Tons of little streets full of cozy local restaurants. Very nice lounge. We were in Bucharest in August,2016 before a river trip up the Danube. The river company was putting everyone up at the Marriott and it seemed easier to stay there continuously than to go to two different hotels. The Hilton is in a historic hotel. It is like staying in Paris downtown. The architecture is amazing. It truly is a grand hotel. In case you did not know, Bucharest is called the Paris of eastern Europe with a model of the arch of triumph. We stayed at the Hilton in 2001, a few days after 9/11, and it was a caring hotel for us.
Originally Posted by Karen2
Just so you don't think I am just living in the past, we visited the Hilton in August, 2016 and found it was just as elegant as ever. The walls have some photos of the hotel in its heyday when it was built around 100 years ago. Athenee Palace is its name and it truly still is a palace. You will not regret this stay. The Marriott is a newer business hotel, utterly lacking in charm. Check out the photos on line.
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
It's good to know about the Hilton & thanks for the info in case someone is a Hilton member also, but if someone is only a MAR/SPG member they probably are going to focus on the MAR/SPG properties. Doesn't mean they can't go over to the Hilton for a drink though!

Cheers.
Thanks for the Hilton info!! If I was going there for fun, it sounds like the Hilton would be the place to go and sounds like I should swing by if I have some free time. Unfortunately this is a work trip so sightseeing isn't on the agenda -- and at the moment the MAR/SPG merger has put LTP within my sights so, for the foreseeable future, I'm doing my best to stick with the MAR/SPG family, especially when work is paying the bill.

So for this trip since none of the hotels are that close to where I'm going (will have to take a taxi/Uber regardless) more curious whether the Sheraton or the JW is the better option

#s3gt_translate_tooltip_mini { display: none !important; }