FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:04 pm
KARFA
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
My EU claim was denied today by BA after waiting 6+ weeks to hear back.

I was flying BA shorthaul KEF-LHR, with a 2hr connection (T5 to T3) onto an AA flight. My BA flight landed into LHR 40 minutes early, but we were forced to wait for our T5 gate for 30 minutes. There were numerous open gates nearby, but the Captain said he was unable to convince operations to let us use one of them. Once our gate was available, there was a baggage cart in the way and the Captain had to make five calls to ramp operations to have the cart moved (another 20+ minute wait). Upon finally parking, the jetbridge was discovered to be broken and it took BA another 60 minutes to get stairs delivered to the aircraft. All told, despite the 40 minute early landing we ended up deplaning 80 minutes after scheduled arrival. Flight connections would not even let me to attempt to make my connection to T3, so I had to overnight in LHR (BA provided accommodation) and ultimately reached my destination 18hrs late. To add insult to injury, I had purchased a Club Europe upgrade at KEF, there was absolutely no meal catered for me and we ended up deplaning last from the rear door (likely being the final factor preventing me from making my connection).

I outlined all of these issues (except the Club Europe catering) when I submitted the claim. BA denied the EU claim, citing, it "was due to a problem with the stand allocation" and thus BA was "not liable for a compensation payment in this case." Does this seem correct to you? While we did wait 30 minutes for a gate this is not what ultimately caused the misconnect. There were a number of factors directly within BA's control that ultimately had a much great impact in deplaning late. Is there any mechanism to appeal within BA?

-FlyerBeek
not to let facts get in the way of a good story from BA, but BA actually allocate their own stands at T5 and the baggage handling (noting the baggage bin delay) is also all done by BA staff.