FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WestJet to launch ultra-low-cost carrier 'Swoop’
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:33 pm
Arthurrs

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Symmetre
Everything flying out of Hamilton will be Swooped. As much as it's convenient to me, it's a dead airport. One airline after another has found that it's just about impossible to make any money flying out of there. There are no connections, the airport terminal is little more than a glorified tool shed and the population it serves just don't fly anywhere.
Yeah, unfortunate if they don't keep at least one or two mainline flights a day once swoop takes over. As much as I find this airport to be conveniently close to home (20 minute drive), most of the people using this airport are going to vacation destinations, usually on a direct flight somewhere sunny. It was nice when there were plentiful flights in the summer season, I could fly in and out of Calgary/Edmonton in one day for quick business meeting, but come fall they cut down on the number of flights, and the return becomes a red eye that I would rather not take. The airport is very small, but I wouldn't go as far as saying it's a shed. It's one of the busiest cargo airports in Canada. Passenger traffic is secondary. I find YYZ to be a better choice with all the travel options there.